Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uh Oh.

+9
Vorzan Putin
SwiftHF
jay smalley
sootyiscool
Memphis Raines
Pjosip
loganscales
Hubert Cumberdale
Daniel
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Uh Oh.  Empty Uh Oh.

Post by Daniel Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:47 am

"Hello Daniel,

It appears your game server has come under a DOS attack. This is causing connectivity issues for all clients on the same physical server. To minimize disruption, we have placed a null-route on your game servers IP which will need to remain in place for a duration of 4 hours. During this time your server will not be accessible. This null-route is applied by the datacenter and must be removed by them so we are sometimes unable to get it removed upon request."

They've offered us ddos protection for just an extra £6 a month (base ddos protection) .. but that would make the overall cost quite expensive for the lack of donations we get.
It was US getting ddosed, and now this brings up some problems. Idk what to do.
Daniel
Daniel
Owner
Owner

Male Posts : 705

https://igrp.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Uh Oh.  Empty Re: Uh Oh.

Post by Hubert Cumberdale Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:50 am

when will the server be running again? in 4 hours?

Hubert Cumberdale

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:50 am

Yes.
Daniel
Daniel
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by loganscales Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:52 am

Damn :/ DDoS protection would be good, but if you simply can't afford it, then we just have to deal with it, its not your fault.

loganscales
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:02 am

Idk. We get 32/32 people on the server nearly every day, yet we've had just 12 donations since the server started (2 months ago). I'm sure if people wanted to see the server running they would donate to keep it going (just a personal opinion).

It's pretty manageable, but sadly it just doesn't happen. For the amount of time/effort I've put into the server and the fact that its full everyday saddens me that we are so short on donations.
Daniel
Daniel
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pjosip Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:12 am

Daniel wrote:...I'm sure if people wanted to see the server running they would donate to keep it going (just a personal opinion)...
Your server is great and people not donating has nothing to do with if they like the server or not.
You are lucky if you get people that are willing to donate to keep the server running, but most people donate mainly for the perks.
Perhaps put a textscreen somewhere on the server that will say like (example) "Did you know that for just $5 you can be a SWAT with body armour and a shotgun?"

Or what I have seen on another server, some powerfull guns (like the gail and machine guns) and keypad cracker can be sold by Premium gun dealer (donator job), that attracts some customers.

Also a good idea (a bit OP so it has to be VERY limited) is to accept donations in exchange for in game money, for instance $5 gets you 25.000 in game money (you could set higer but limit to 1 transaction per week so you don't ruin the economy.

Another thing you could manage is to have an inventory witch can fit 2 objects (gun/shipment/other item) and doesen't reset when you leave the server.
Pjosip
Pjosip

Male Posts : 202

http://thedominionnetwork.ewwbly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Memphis Raines Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:20 am

lol they should offer you that protection for free, after all that shit is happening.
Memphis Raines
Memphis Raines

Male Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by sootyiscool Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:46 am

If we all paid one pound a month it would be great! I Would! It would mean only six people and you could have ddos protection. Maybe setup some sort of monthly subscription for a certain period of time like half a year. It's better than a one off donation of five pounds. (You could still have 1 off donations aswell though.)

This would mean if people really enjoy the server it's not like they will just give once. They can subscribe for like a year or something and pay a couple of pounds each month.

Just a suggestion Very Happy 
sootyiscool
sootyiscool

Male Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by jay smalley Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:50 am

Ik its probally that guy who got banned for spamming the chat or its probaly that peoplee you banned was seroius pisssed off and took revenge
jay smalley
jay smalley

Male Posts : 127

http://www.igrp.forumotion

Back to top Go down

Post by SwiftHF Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:11 am

It's a shame you don't get many donations, however I don't think that's because people don't like the server, I think it's because:

a) People don't know you can donate
and
b) The perks may not appeal to some players

Maybe adding different "packages" of donations could help.

EDIT: Or run off a VPS, would probably be cheaper + less vulnerable to DDOS since you have your own IP (I would hope)

SwiftHF

Back to top Go down

Post by sootyiscool Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:57 am

sootyiscool wrote:If we all paid one pound a month it would be great! I Would! It would mean only six people and you could have ddos protection. Maybe setup some sort of monthly subscription for a certain period of time like half a year. It's better than a one off donation of five pounds. (You could still have 1 off donations aswell though.)

This would mean if people really enjoy the server it's not like they will just give once. They can subscribe for like a year or something and pay a couple of pounds each month.

Just a suggestion Very Happy 
Does no one else like this idea?
No 
sootyiscool
sootyiscool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vorzan Putin Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:15 am

I agree with everyone who has commented so far. My idea of the Ddos'ers are as follows in a chronological order:
1.They do something really wrong and get banned/kicked
2.They are mad because they think they were doing nothing but being brats
3.So the 5 year old brats go onto YouTube and search "How to be a B**ch"(D dosing)
4.They follow the steps and then think they are so cool because they are hacking a server.
5.Then everyone on here gets P****ed off like hell and wants to bash their skulls in! Very Happy

They have no idea how much grief they cause and its so saddening. Server protection would be nice, But as PJ said I agree that advertisements and deals for money would be a nice idea.
Hope my d dosing joke was funny, But really that's what they do.
Vorzan Putin
Vorzan Putin

Male Posts : 13
Location : Scotland, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multi Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:33 am

I believe the server is up and running again.
Daniel
Daniel
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by sootyiscool Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:01 am

Why can't I get on?

working now!

Last edited by sootyiscool on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PROBLEM SOLVED)
sootyiscool
sootyiscool

Back to top Go down

Post by Igor The Sloth Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:14 am

If they are going as far as null routing you for 4 hours without allowing you to get that shit off, their next step will be shutting you down if this continues. No host will keep customers that bring trouble their way.

Dont wanna scare you but you might want to do regular backups in case you need to switch hosts.
Igor The Sloth
Igor The Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieG193 Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:21 am

Dan a host that offers DDoS protection as an extra sounds like a bad one.

I would get a full dedicated server with a solid host that has alot of bandwidth. The reason why you're getting so much lag is because of the host's poor bandwidth. Hosts get DDoSed all the time, but its the ones with the high bandwidths that aren't affected.

I've hosted dedicated servers in the past - one that was running 3 games servers, a website, and TeamSpeak for only £64 per month. If that's out of your budget you can get a half-decent server from GamingDeluxe (a host I've used before) for £49 (including full FTP, SSH, and RDP access).

http://www.gamingdeluxe.co.uk/dedicated-servers/Intel-Duo-E6600

J

JamieG193

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:39 am

ONLY £64 a month? Lmao.
Only £49 a month? Lmao.

No thanks, i will stick with who we are with.
Daniel
Daniel
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieG193 Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 am

That's extremely cheap for a dedicated server. Other hosts that I called up couldn't believe that's what I was paying - some were charging in the hundreds Shocked 

I heard that you were paying £40 month currently, plus now the extra £6 for the DDoS protection?

Anyway it was only a suggestion mate, no need to laugh. Just trying to help out, y'know Wink

JamieG193

Back to top Go down

Post by Igor The Sloth Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:55 am

JamieG193 wrote:That's extremely cheap for a dedicated server. Other hosts that I called up couldn't believe that's what I was paying - some were charging in the hundreds Shocked 

I heard that you were paying £40 month currently, plus now the extra £6 for the DDoS protection?

Anyway it was only a suggestion mate, no need to laugh. Just trying to help out, y'know Wink
That host of yours is a damn joke Very Happy
Igor The Sloth
Igor The Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Pjosip Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:03 am

IS this guy for real?
Pjosip
Pjosip

Male Posts : 202

http://thedominionnetwork.ewwbly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieG193 Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 am

Are anyone of you going to explain what you mean, or what?

JamieG193

Back to top Go down

Post by Igor The Sloth Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:43 am

JamieG193 wrote:Are anyone of you going to explain what you mean, or what?
We mean, that the host you linked is bullshit Very Happy

Dont you speak english or what?
Igor The Sloth
Igor The Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieG193 Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 am

Igor The Sloth wrote:

Well I've used them for about a year now to run 3 public gaming servers + TS + website for just under 100 members (at one point). Apart from a few issues in the beginning, they've been fine so far. Far from being "bullshit".

Hey look I was just offering my advice from what experience I have. I don't see why you should berate a guy that's trying to lend a hand.

JamieG193

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 am

JamieG193 wrote:
Igor The Sloth wrote:

Well I've used them for about a year now to run 3 public gaming servers + TS + website for just under 100 members (at one point). Apart from a few issues in the beginning, they've been fine so far. Far from being "bullshit".

Hey look I was just offering my advice from what experience I have. I don't see why you should berate a guy that's trying to lend a hand.
You obviously have no idea who simon is.
Cypher
Cypher
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieG193 Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am

Cypher wrote:
JamieG193 wrote:
Igor The Sloth wrote:

You obviously have no idea who simon is.
Evidently not, hehe.

JamieG193

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum